Thursday, April 28, 2016

Fresh eggs n'at

Hello! Welcome! This is my new blog. It's all about living on a prayer, counting pennies (and dollars), cooking, and cupcakes. Actually, it's my first day. I don't know what it will be about, yet, per se, but I'm guessing, since these are the things I'm thinking about these days.

I'm a librarian and book lover, so books will be mentioned, probably, and probably a lot.

On to the matter at hand.

Susan's Easy Hard Boiled Eggs

Ingredients
As many eggs as you want to boil

Equipment:
A pan

Instructions: Use the freshest eggs you have. More on this, below. Put the eggs in the pan. Cover them in COLD water. Put the water on medium, cover the pan, put a timer for 10 minutes, and come back and check. The water should be boiling. Take the pan off the heat, keep the cover on, and put the timer on for another 10 minutes. VOILA!

So why do you need to use fresh eggs, Sarah Louise?

The problem is not with the instructions. The problem is that as a single person, I sometimes have very old eggs in my fridge. (And sometimes more than one carton, because eggs were on SALE!) And of course one thinks, better use the old eggs first! Yes. For scrambled eggs. But not for hard boiled. Why? The eggs will float, for one. The water will not boil, for two (it's TRUE). And the shell will be even harder to remove than usual. Trust me. I've been there, done than, I have the t-shirt.

I'm sure there are scientific reasons for all of the above, but this is not a science blog. If you know the answers, put them (nicely) in the comments. I reserve the right to delete any comments that are not nice, B T Dubbs. (By the way.)  

Well, that's all for today. Come back soon, I'll be posting at least twice a week, and tweaking the layout/design as I go.

Oh, and here's today's joke, thanks to I love eggs:  

What happens when you tell an egg a joke?
It cracks up!


10 comments:

  1. You're blogging again! Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your freshest eggs might be old enough, but freshly purchased eggs are nearly impossible to peel for reasons too complicated to type on my phone in a comment. If your eggs are floating, I thought that indicated that they were spoiled/too old. Older eggs (in the fridge about a week) are easier to peel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, you are right. Except that I have found that the eggs that float are still okay for scrambled. (I live on the edge.)

    Yes, blogging again. I'll be adding widgets and stuff, but for now, just plain words. Thanks for your support and COMMENTS, I love me some comments!!

    xo,
    SL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You are writing again!
    When I take the eggs off the stove I put them in ice water to cool them, pour off the water and then shake the pan vigorously to crack all the shells. They pop right out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, what a great tip!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is eggspically wonderful Sarah Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to see you back on a blog again. I have that problem with not using eggs fast enough too.

    ReplyDelete